Emergency Procedures

Please call us immediately if you think you may have a natural gas leak or electric emergency.

  • 24-Hour Natural Gas Emergencies: 715-394-2200
  • 24-Hour Electric Emergencies: 715-394-2200

Natural Gas Leaks and Fires

Natural gas has a distinct pungent odor so it is easy to detect. Leaking gas can cause an explosion/fire.

If you smell natural gas:

  • Get everyone out of the house right away.
  • DO NOT use the telephone, a flashlight or any electrical switches.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call the gas company immediately.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house right away.
  • Go to a neighbor's house and call 911
  • If the fire is small, an adult can try using an all-purpose fire extinguisher. Never put water on an electrical fire. If you can't quickly extinguish the fire, get out and call 911. Do not try to extinguish a large fire.

If you have to call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.

Electrical Shocks and/or Fires

Used the right way, electricity is safe. But used in the wrong way, electricity can cause a shock. A shock is when home electricity flows through a person or animal, and can cause serious injury and even death.

If someone is shocked:

  • DO NOT touch the person.
  • If possible, unplug the appliance that is causing the shock.
  • Call 911 immediately.

If there is a fire:

  • Get everyone out of the house right away.
  • GO to a neighbor's house and call 911.
  • Never put water on an electrical fire.

If you have to call 911, remember to give your name and address, and speak clearly. Tell the operator what's wrong. Stay on the phone. The operator will tell you what to do.